Quite a few years back now, I had done a cross stitch for my Mom. It was my first ever piece on linen (see image below). It is currently traveling around the world and has been complimented on through many borders and customs. It is in Belgium at the moment and I will see if my Mom will get a pic for me. In any case, this is the piece that inspired my Artbeads ‘Blogging for Beaders’ theme ‘Spring’:
Spring and whimsical belong together in my mind. By the time Winter is over, you just feel giddy when the flowers and leaves start to blossom and the snow is gone.
I started this piece by making the beehive, or ‘bead hive’ LOL I used Toho Hybrid Natural Picasso #11 seed beads. I wanted it to be a bit raised so I stitched it by itself and then ‘patched’ it to the front of the big piece, I stuffed it a bit underneath to give it a bit more dimension. Then I wanted to bead the honeycomb that was going to be in the background. This wasn’t going to work out so well, so I hand painted the background on the fabric.
Then I got busy beading flowers and shrubs as real as I could pull off. I used a few Czech Glass Flowers from Artbeads awesome collection! I made some flowers, leaves and stems in Toho #11’s and Toho #15’s. Most of the flowers and shrubs I am familiar with: forsythia, wisteria, lily of the valley, forget-me-nots, bleeding hearts and some I just made up LOL A pale orange-y/yellow sun sits up in the corner, blocking off the rest of the wisteria tree.
and do you see the roots on the tree? LOL I threw on a turquoise butterfly I had from my own collection. Having run out of flower ideas and time, I thought I would take the opportunity to use the rest of the awesome Toho Hybrid Natural Picasso beads and weave up some netting on the one side, to give it texture and resemble the honeycomb a bit. I debated about putting a vine on that side, but it just didn’t sit well with me, so I left it plain showing off those gorgeous seed beads!
I had ordered these cool cool buttons from Artbeads..Antique ‘Brass’ Honey Bee Buttons! I had ordered a bunch of them, but they were larger than I thought, so I used them for the closure. To keep the evenness on the backside, I used 2 buttons. Then I separately made a double loop closure, square stitched in the center for 3 rows, then the loops were peyote stitched in the round. I thought this would be a good time to incorporate some cool Czech Glass Leaf Beads, also from Artbeads.
So that is the story of how this came to be 😉 I couldn’t think of a name so easily this time and since this was so whimsical and reminded me slightly of an English Garden in the yard of a sweet cottage in a remote area of England, I decided to name it ‘Cottage Whimsy’.